The Phoenix Studio family are delighted to include former Director of the Henley School of Art (and one of our favourite drawing teachers), Jo Harris as one of our own. Her 10 week Life Drawing for Beginners courses are hugely popular (be quick, they sell out fast) and offer so much more than just your bog standard drawing class.
With over 25 years of Life Drawing experience behind her, endless enthusiasm and a real passion for what she does, Jo has carefully designed her classes to be a real creative escape, as well as an extremely effective way to get into the fantastic practice of drawing from life. Part of what makes Jo’s teaching so accessible is her ability to understand where a student may be stuck and to find a way to get them unstuck with the minimum of fuss. Each student receives individual attention and help is offered according to each participant’s skill-set – this makes this course a great option for someone who isn’t necessarily a beginner, but needs a kick start to get going again! The overall aim of this course is to give students, of all skill level, the tools to draw so that you can find your own drawing style and really let loose – it’s jam-packed full of interesting demonstrations, inspiring exercises, live models, insightful tips, encouragement and a lot of fun. Even if you’ve never really picked up a pencil before, Jo will get you drawing!
This term will start on the 16th January – perfect for all of you who want to get to know your more creative side, try new things and also great for those who would just love 2 and a half hours away from normal life to indulge in an artistic pursuit as old as time!
Come to the studio and take part alongside like-minded, creative folk, you never know what you’ll learn – and, as Jo always says: if you can draw the human body, you can draw ANYTHING!
This fun course includes:
- A series of structured demonstrations and exercises lead by tutor Jo Harris, who has over 25 years of teaching experience
- Each week focus will be paid to a different aspect of life drawing
- Informal, relaxed & attentive guidance for every student, provided by Jo Harris
- Working from a different life model each week, who will pose for varying lengths of time
Anyone, regardless of experience – no younger than 17 years old though I am afraid. Please note that the life model will be undressed throughout the class.
What is included in the price?
- Two and a half engaging hours of teaching (10am – 12:30pm)
- A professional male or female life model
- Tea, coffee and biscuits
- There’s no need to bring anything – all materials are provided
- Use of a beautiful purpose-built art studio with all the equipment & materials you will need
- Beautiful countryside setting
This course is for you if:
- You want to draw with more confidence and learn new skills
- You want to improve your observational skills
- You want to improve your own artistic practise (even if you normally create in an entirely different medium entirely)
- You want to get away from it all and immerse yourself in a fun, creative environment
- You love creativity
Term Dates and Times
Classes will take place on Tuesday mornings, between 10am – 12.30pm
New Year Term – 10 Week Term dates:
- 16th January
- 23rd January
- 30th January
- 6th February
- 20th February
- 27th February
- 5th March
- 12th March
- 19th March
- 26th March
ABOUT THE TUTOR
A life long artist, Jo Harris’s drawings are filled with boundless joy and energy. Whilst predominantly drawing in pencil, she is very experimental in her approach, often incorporating different media into her artwork – pastels, colourful pens, charcoal and more! This passion she has for trying new mediums, is transferred to the paper with downright outrageous aplomb – big gestural mark making accompanies delicate attentions to detail in a way that combines wonderfully.
It stands to reason that this passion she has for creating is transferred to the way she teaches. Her enthusiasm will inspire you and she always gets the best from her students.
You can have a look at his website here and examples of her own drawings can be seen below.