Life drawing is one of my favourite pastimes. Forget mindfulness and meditation – life drawing is the thing to do for creative types looking to find their inner peace. So come join us for a weekly 2 1/2 hours of untutored life drawing bliss!
We provide the model, the studio and the space – you bring your creative magic!
For these untutored life drawing sessions we will be drawing one life model, typically starting with short poses that increase in duration as the session progresses. Typically 2-minute poses to start, some 5 to 10-minute poses and then onto longer 20-30-minute poses.
You can book all five sessions and EITHER pay to use:
- an easel (with optional A1 or A2 drawing boards)
- or be seated on a chair (with an optional A2 drawing board on your lap)
The easels will be arranged in a crescent around the model, and the chairs will be situated in front of the easels so that everyone can see the model.
We recommend that you bring your own drawing tools and materials, but basic drawing materials and paper will be available for you to use too. There will be a surcharge for sheets of paper that you use – please bring loose change or be prepared to make a bank transfer after each session).
Term Dates and Times
Classes will take place on Tuesday afternoons, between 2 pm – 4.30 pm
The 5 weekly sessions will take place on the following dates:
- 27th February
- 5th March
- 12th March
- 19th March
- 26th March
Even if life drawing isn’t your artistic medium of choice, the act of regularly putting pencil to paper will enhance many aspects of your creative pursuits. And yet, many people don’t draw because self-doubt tells them they can’t. This is such a waste! Whether you’re a complete novice or an experienced artist, we guarantee that if you show up and draw every week, you will get better, it’s just a case of showing up and putting in the hours!
We LOVE how Tuesdays have become our Life Drawing days! Jo Harris runs her fabulous tutored life drawing sessions on Tuesday mornings and you may still be able to get onto the course if you’re quick.
This session includes:
- A two and a half untutored life drawing session
- Working from a life model who will pose for varying, increasing lengths of time
- Relaxed & inspiring space to work for every student
- Basic drawing materials provided (i.e. charcoal, pencils and rubbers) – with a small surcharge for sheets of paper
Anyone, regardless of experience – though we do ask for 16 years old+ though. Please note that the life model will be undressed throughout the class.
What is included in the price?
- Use of the studio (2pm-4:30pm)
- A life model
- Tea, coffee, biscuits
- Drawing materials: Charcoal, Pencils, Graphite sticks & Erasers
- Easels, drawing boards and chairs
- Use of a beautiful purpose-built art studio
- Beautiful countryside setting
This course is for you if:
- You want to draw with more confidence and practise life drawing at your own pace
- You want to improve your observational skills
- You want to improve your own artistic practise (even if you normally create in an entirely different medium entirely)
- You want to get away from it all and immerse yourself in a fun, creative environment
- You love creativity
Beyond this session
There are opportunities to get more tutored life drawing sessions at the studio. Jo Harris teaches some fabulous courses throughout the year here as well as fabulous online sesssions. Jake Spicer also teaches here each year and he has also written a number of excellent, highly acclaimed and accessible books about drawing if you wish to study his methods further.
If you are travelling from further afield and would like to stay in the area for your visit then have a look at our recommended list of local B&Bs and hotels.